i810-modesetting available on Debian

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Oct 26 08:08:18 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 22:00 +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 08:57 +0100, Alan Hourihane wrote:
> > >
> > > Alan, do you have strong feelings for or against including this driver
> > > in Debian's forthcoming stable release, etch?  We are in any case
> > > providing the normal i810 1.7.2 driver as well, of course.
> >
> > Eric's the maintainer of the modesetting branch, so you'd best ask him,
> > as I'm not sure what the current state of play with it is.
>
> Ah, okay. Thanks for the correction.
>
> Eric, would you care for a snapshot of the modesetting branch to appear
> in debian/etch?

the modesetting branch really isn't ready for a stable release at this
point, but having it in unstable would be really useful for many people.
As noted by Barry Scott, it can cause problems on many machines because
it hasn't seen widespread testing yet, and the level of development is
making that difficult.

We are hoping to get it merged to master sometime in January, at which
point I would like it to become the default in unstable so we can get
the kind of testing done that will wring out the remaining issues.

keith.packard at intel.com