i810-modesetting available on Debian

Drew Parsons dparsons at debian.org
Thu Oct 26 16:48:29 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 18:40 +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Keith Packard, le Thu 26 Oct 2006 08:08:18 -0700, a écrit :
> > On Thu, 2006-10-26 at 22:00 +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> > >
> > > Eric, would you care for a snapshot of the modesetting branch to appear
> > > in debian/etch?
> >
> > the modesetting branch really isn't ready for a stable release at this
> > point, but having it in unstable would be really useful for many people.
> > As noted by Barry Scott, it can cause problems on many machines because
> > it hasn't seen widespread testing yet, and the level of development is
> > making that difficult.
>
> But isn't the experimental distribution intended for this?

Not really.  experimental is more for when you have a new, dodgy version
of an existing package and you don't want it interfering with that
normal version.

The new i810-modesetting package is separate from the existing i810 one,
so that does't apply.  They can both coexist happily in the archive
(though not in the same installation).  The normal version is not
affected, unless someone makes the conscious decision to try the
development version.

The advantage of putting it in unstable is that more people will be
inclined to try it out, which I understand is what we want. Moreover it
will get built for other architectures than i386, which I also
understand to be useful.

The message I'm getting is that we want to keep it out of etch, and
that's easy enough to arrange.  This implies we won't have people trying
out an old development snapshot in a year's time.

Drew