State of i810 driver?

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Thu Oct 26 23:46:53 PDT 2006

I have just bought myself some new hardware - a Core 2 duo on an Intel DG965SS
motherboard (which is of course 965G based).

Running the machine in X86 mode, I upgraded the linux kernel to 2.6.19-rc2
following a note on here which said it was necessary to get an up to date
agpgart module, and I now seem to have a basically working system.

I am running Debian Unstable - which means the version of the driver as of now
(in Debian terms its 2:1.7.2-1 - but I think it maps through) is 1.7.2

Running a normal kde desktop it seems to work fine - but as soon as I attempt
to play a video I get the display driver appearing to crash in some form of
loop (about 10 seconds long).  The only way out seems to be a hard reset of
the machine.

I did try to capture the log (before it got overwritten on the reboot).  The
latest time I did it, there was nothing in it after the normal startup.  The
previous time - the following was at the end - but that was before I took out
a VideoRam 17000 line from xorg.conf (which I had accidentally left in there
when I was trying to figure out the problems that required me to upgrade to
2.6.19-rc2)

Error in I830WaitLpRing(), now is -2007065991, start is -2007067992
pgetbl_ctl: 0x3f780001 pgetbl_err: 0x0
ipeir: 0 iphdr: 0
LP ring tail: 48 head: f8ec len: 1f001 start 0
eir: 0 esr: 0 emr: ffdf
instdone: 0 instpm: 10
memmode: 0 instps: 0
hwstam: dfff ier: 0 imr: dfff iir: 0
space: 63644 wanted 131064

Fatal server error:
lockup

Error in I830WaitLpRing(), now is -2007062984, start is -2007064985
pgetbl_ctl: 0x3f780001 pgetbl_err: 0x0
ipeir: 0 iphdr: 0
LP ring tail: 50 head: f8ec len: 1f001 start 0
eir: 0 esr: 0 emr: ffdf
instdone: 0 instpm: 10
memmode: 0 instps: 0
hwstam: dfff ier: 0 imr: dfff iir: 0
space: 63636 wanted 131064

FatalError re-entered, aborting
lockup

Is this a known problem?  Is the fact that it appears to want 128M as opposed
to 64M something I can do something about with an option in Xorg.conf?

I have also seen talk of the "modesetting" branch but I am unclear if I need
to be thinking about that (since again I think I have read somewhere that you
need it to change the memory setting from a BIOS derived value).

I saw a thread which suggested that it might be being made available to Debian
Unstable shortly.  If its needed in order for playing video, then I am all
for it.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk