xf86-video-intel modesetting branch not compiling

Joel Ebel freedesktop at ebel.mybox.org
Fri Oct 27 16:06:09 PDT 2006

Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 23:58 -0700, Joel Ebel wrote:
>> interesting.  That does allow it to compile.  Where did you get these
>> values from?  What is supposed to be defining these?
>
> They should have been exposed by your X server (you may need a current X
> Server to build the driver).

Hmm.  This is on ubuntu edgy, using xorg 7.1.1ubuntu6.  It doesn't get
much more recent.  Maybe there's a dev package I'm missing, but I
installed xserver-xorg-dev.  Do you know what file it should be in?
Perhaps I can find the package that should contain that file.

>> So now I've got it compiled and installed, and X sure thinks it's
>> running, I'm just not getting anything on my monitor at all.  It says no
>> signal.  I was even able to log in without looking at it.  So something
>> is still missing.  End goal is to display 1920x1080 on my TV, which I
>> wasn't able to do with the released driver, so I'm trying to get
>> modesetting to work.
>
> If this is to a CRT or a panel, file a bug with the log.  If it's with
> the TV, we don't support any TV-out devices yet in the modesetting
> branch, though it's planned at least for i915+ integrated TV out.
> There's some work-in-progress code for the TV out in the branch, but I
> haven't had time to finish it.

This is an LCD TV connected via vga, so it appears as a monitor.
However, I later read that the G965 isn't yet supported in the
modesetting branch, so you probably don't want a bug filed for that.
That's an interesting failure mode though, to work in every way except
actually displaying anythin.  Any word on when the G965 will be
supported in modesetting?  This is the final piece of my hardware
support puzzle for my media center box.

Thanks for your work on the driver!
Joel