xserver-xorg-core Broken - need quick help - cows are hungry

Sat Oct 28 03:28:09 PDT 2006

I broke my Etch-i386-Installation yesterday (on an Acer-Aspire-1700 Laptop):

After an normal aptitude-update (updating of xorg components and some other
stuff), X refuses to work. The problem is that I used VMware with WindowsXP and
a cow-management software for my farm. So I can not use this essential software
anymore. Quick help is needed!

I localized the problem:

dpkg is not able to install the new version of the xserver-xorg-core package
(1.0.2-9 to 1.1.1-10), because of problems with the directory and file structure
and the file libglx.so. The error looks like this:

(Reading database ... 184077 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking xserver-xorg-core (from .../xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.1.1-10_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.1.1-10_i386.deb (--install):
unable to create `./usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so': No such file or
directory
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
/var/cache/apt/archives/xserver-xorg-core_2%3a1.1.1-10_i386.deb

Because aptitude installed already other updated xorg components the
X-installation broke.

I tried to delete the X-installation completely. This worked. But the new
installation of xorg with xserver-xorg-core gave the same error

dpkg tries to install xserver-xorg-core but does not finish because of libglx.so.

So I can not even install any xorg-component neither use it.

At the beginning of the problem I had the nvidia-binary-drivers installed. So I
thought they messed up the libglx.so, but after I removed them nothing changed.

Thank you for reading this, I hope we find a solution to this!

Kristian