Policy proposal: generate packages when autotools update

Paul Vojta vojta at Math.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Oct 30 10:07:21 PST 2006

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 05:36:57PM -0700, Kean Johnston wrote:
> All,
>
> I would like to propose a development policy change.
>
> As things stand, its a bit difficult. Some packages were configured
> with automake 1.7, some with automake 1.9, some with autoconf 2.54,
> some with 2.59 etc. I propose for 7.2 we standardize on:
>
>   autoconf 2.60
>   automake 1.10
>   libtool 1.5.22
>
> Comments?

There's one thing that's missing from this discussion so far.  When you
build from a tarball, you don't actually *run* autoconf or automake.
The package maintainer runs those before creating the tarball.  So for
those programs at least, it should be up to the package maintainer
to keep current.

Libtool, of course, is different; you do run that when building.
So I suggest we discuss only libtool.

--Paul Vojta, vojta at math.berkeley.edu