Card recommendations

Rene Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Mon Sep 11 06:34:59 PDT 2006

Hi,

On Monday 11 September 2006 15:18, Barry Scott wrote:
> Rene Rebe wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> I have a 1680x1050 panel that I'm currently running with an analogue
> >> cable.  I tried the modesettings branch but it crashed for me (I've yet
> >> to get more gdb action to try and fix it up) so for now I'm using stock
> >> X, and with a decent VGA cable its surprisingly sharp.
> >
> > I use the modesetting branch to drive my primary work display and
> > beamers on talks on the MacBook which usually works ok.
> >
> > Maybe the modesetting can be merged to HEAD even without the
> > Xrandr updates to allow on-the-fly reconfiguration?
>
> I've been testing the modesetting branch and have reported a number of
> problems around configuration and stability.
>
> * The driver will lock up hard after a couple of restarts of X server.
>    Recover only by power cycling the machine.
> * The DDC and EDID info is ignored.
>
> Barry

Yes indeed. I also experienced the hard-lock but it only happens in some
output configurations. I found that my MacBook miniDVI output only works
reliable when a monitor was attached on bootup. I did not yet had free
time to invesitgate this. Maybe it is as you write because the DDC/EDIT
info is ignored.

Is the a roadmap on what the Intel Linux group will work on next? As far
as I can see the native modesetting would be the most interesting thing
that would be nice to have next - even before the dynamic reconfiguration
of the upcoming xrandr++.

Yours,

--
  René Rebe - ExactCODE - Berlin (Europe / Germany)
  +49 (0)30 / 255 897 45