RandR version 1.2 revisited

Xavier Bestel xavier.bestel at free.fr
Wed Sep 13 07:54:11 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 08:56, Keith Packard wrote:
> Discussions during DDC this summer prompted me to discard the
> specification and implementation of the RandR upgrade I'd been working
> on. I've finally managed to sort through the issues and come up with a
> new proposal that purports to meet the requirements presented at that
> meeting.

- In the CrtcInfo x and y are INT16, but it seems they can't be negative
(a CRTC must fit within the screen).

- There should be a way for an app to specify it will sync to the vblank
of a particular CRTC (for uncomposited cases I guess).

- In "9. Extension Versioning" there are parts still written for 1.0.

- IMHO, the subpixel order should be available in the Output, and the
toolkit should take care of that (guess which Output/CRTC mostly applies
to the window, select vblank, read subpixel order & gamma, etc. from
it).

- There should be a user-selectable "Driving Output" which will set the
main subpixel order, main vblank, XVidMode target, etc. for applications
unaware of RandR1.2. That may solve point 10.1.

	Xav