RandR version 1.2 revisited

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Thu Sep 14 13:58:13 PDT 2006

On Thursday 14 September 2006 16:11, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 15:59 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > It appears to.  I don't have the base EDID docs, just the implementors
> > guide, which mutters something about requiring sRGB displays to encode
> > exactly certain values.  The EDID code already in the server includes a
> > function called "get_whitepoint_section" so I imagine that's what it
> > does.
>
> Sounds like we're set then. I'll happily ignore the EDID stuff until we
> figure out conventions for reporting this to clients. Anyone interested
> in writing up what Output properties should exist?

I really can't justify reporting EDID to the client in any format but the raw
block.  It's quite easy to parse, and we've basically got the code already,
and translating it to another format is just making work.  I'd be happy to
split it out into a shared lib post-7.2 if people think that's worthwhile.

Other properties that spring to mind would be multi-monitor physical topology
things like stereo_with, clone_with, genlock_with that point to other
Outputs, and possibly any relevant card-local properties like whether the
connector is LVDS or TMDS.  Also since Outputs can display overlapping
subsets of the Screen, it might make sense to allow for specifying physical
layout, but encoding that seems to be a Hard problem.

- ajax