Attempt at input event documentation

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Sep 18 02:48:57 PDT 2006

(Sorry for the late reply.)

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 05:17:00PM +0930, Peter Hutterer wrote:
> On 09/08/2006, at 18:35 PM, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >Our wikis use Moin, but feel free to put it there.
>
> any suggestions on where to put it?
> Directly in the developer's pages seems a bit bold. maybe in the
> developers FAQ?

Uhm.  Maybe create a ServerInternals page?  We can throw all kinds of
server documentation in it, if maintainers of other components care to
write it (hint hint).

> >In the input-hotplug branch, the DDX isn't actually responsible for
> >event generation any more.  There are two functions (GetPointerEvents
> >and GetKeyboardEvents[0]) in the DIX which generate all the events for
> >you, and the DDX enqueues them as it sees fit.  This included fixing
> >mieq so it was Xi-aware, so XFree86 and KDrive both use it now.
> >
> >This should hopefully make MPX easier, as you can just generate all
> >the
> >events you need in GPE.  It still has a few limitations at the moment
> >(most glaringly: lack of multi-screen; I don't have a multiscreen
> >system
> >to test on), but is mostly there.  I've been using it daily on my
> >laptop
> >for three or so weeks now.
>
> funnily enough, the event generation was fairly easy*.
> At the moment my major grief is getting the sprites to render without
> segfaulting occasionally.

Ah yes.  Pointers aren't too bad (particularly if you ignore multiple
screens); it's the keyboards that really get you.  Damned things.

Cheers,
Daniel