RandR 1.2 for Xorg 7.2?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Sep 21 09:08:25 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 17:39 +0200, Alex Deucher wrote:

> Nice work Keith.  Do you have the sample driver implementation
> available anywhere?  Once I get back into the country and have some
> time to go over it, I can tackle the convertion of other dualhead
> capable drivers.  Does anyone see any reason to keep the mergedfb
> implementations around once a driver is converted to the new xrandr?
> what about the old screen based dualhead?

As I posted, I've got a version of the Intel driver working with this
new code. I've found that attempting to write code without a test case
is somewhat error prone.

	git://people.freedesktop.org/~keithp/xf86-video-intel randr-1.2

And, yes, the goal is to unify the various mergefb implementations
around the RandR framework along with new xf86 DDX code which we'll want
to look at for 7.3. RandR gives us new vocabulary to talk about mergefb,
but it doesn't solve the start-up configuration issues. We may decide
that startup "doesn't matter" and that the user is free to set up any
configuration they like after login time, but I suspect many people will
want X to come up with the desired configuration immediately.

The old multi-driver Xinerama code remains useful as there's no other
way of creating really large desktops; this RandR implementation does
not perform any of that functionality. What I want to do is take
advantage of the existing Xinerama screen-merging code and somehow mash
it together with the RandR-based mergefb code so we can have multi-card
mergefb environments.

keith.packard at intel.com