i915 and 1680x1050 (yes , again :)

Helmut Zimmer helmut.zimmer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 09:44:39 PDT 2006

Hi,

I'm having some problems getting my i915 to display 1680x1050. I know that
this seems to be quite a common problem with this chipset and I did see many
threads and web sites concerning this matter. However, since some of the
people confirmed that they are able to run this resolution I'm frustrated
since I can't.
I've used 915resolution to set the correct resolution and X starts up
normally, but the monitor can't find a signal. I am able to run my monitor
with 1280x800 with the help of 915resolution but not 1680x1050.  It seems
that nothing above 1280x1024 is acceptable for my 915. I've tried to change
different modes to 1680x1050 with 915resolution, but all of them has either
the same effect as above or then the whole mode is not found (and X defaults
to 640x480).
Is there anything I could try to get the signal out of my chipset?