Building the X11R7 distribution from the git sources

Patrick Mahan mahan at mahan.org
Wed Sep 27 13:44:51 PDT 2006

I'm having some problems building the X11R7 sources after downloading
them using git.  I am using the 'build.sh' script found in
'util/modular' directory.  The problem I am currently seeing is with
attempting to compile 'driver/xf86-input-calcomp/src/xf86Calcomp.c'.

The compile is failing because it cannot find the 'TS_Raw' and
'TS_Scaled' defined at line 687 and 689, respectively:

685:       if ((s) && (xf86NameCmp (s, "raw") == 0))
686:
687:               priv->reporting_mode = TS_Raw;
688:       else
689:               priv->reporting_mode = TS_Scaled;
690:

Doing a search on the entire source tree does not turn up any
definitions for those values.  I then search '/usr/include' and
found these values defined in '/usr/include/X11/extensions/XI.h'.

Comparing the 'XI.h' in the source tree and the 'XI.h' revels that
the they are very similar.  However, in the 'XI.h' found in
'/usr/include' the following is seen:

/* Merged from Metrolink tree for XINPUT stuff */
#define TS_Raw                 57
#define TS_Scaled              58
#define SendCoreEvents         59
#define DontSendCoreEvents     60
/* End of merged section       */

I also found that 'XI.h' is included through 'xf86XInput.h' only if
'XINPUT' is defined, which in this case, it is not.

So I am somewhat confused as to how this code was building in the first
place?  Is it possible I have missed a step?  Should I have downloaded
the tarballs instead?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick