Constraining cursor to RandR crtcs

Tim Dijkstra newsuser at famdijkstra.org
Mon Apr 2 03:01:26 PDT 2007

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 10:49:47 +0100
Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> Andy Ritger wrote:
> > NVIDIA's TwinView implementation suffers from the same problem --
> > that the cursor can be in a region of the screen that is not visible.
> > I don't think I've seen many user complaints from that.  I assume users
> > just wiggle the mouse around until it finds its way back into a visible
> > portion of the screen.
>
> I remember when I was using an nvidia twinview setup and I had this
> "issue" too.
>
> I had the following layout
> +---------------------------------+---------------------------------+
> |                                 |                                 |
> |                                 |                                 |
> |                                 |                                 |
> |                                 |                                 |
> |                                 |                                 |
> |                                 |                                 |
> |                              3  | 4                               |
> +---------------------------------+                                 |
>                                   |                                 |
>                                   |                                 |
>                                2  | 1                               |
>                                   +---------------------------------+
>

> If I moved the mouse from point 1 to point 2, the cursor would be hidden
> from me. I did indeed just wiggle it until I could see it again.
>
> If the mouse were to warp from point 1 to point 3 as I moved it towards
> point 2, then this would have been nice I think. However, if I had just
> moved the mouse one tiny pixel into the dead space when I didn't mean
> to, (e.g. some app on the right screen had a button at it's bottom left
> corner) and subsequently moved it back to the right screen only to find
> my cursor now in point 4, I would have found this quite annoying.

Wouldn't it be nice to `glue' the two rectangles together after a
rescaling. I mean, just make the warping such that point 2 doesn't
exist; if you move from 1 (eg the bottom of the screen) in the
direction of 2 you end up in the left rectangle on the bottom of the
screen, at 3. If you move in a similar direction from half-way the
vertical distance on the right screen, you end up half-way on the left
screen, etc. This way the moves would be reversible.

Maybe I'm missing something here, because I haven't really looked at
the randr stuff at all...

grts Tim