Constraining cursor to RandR crtcs

Matthias Hopf mhopf at suse.de
Tue Apr 3 03:37:22 PDT 2007

On Apr 02, 07 10:21:06 -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 10:49 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>
> > I had the following layout
> > +---------------------------------+---------------------------------+
> > |                                 |                                 |
> > |                                 |                                 |
> > |                                 |                                 |
> > |                                 |                                 |
> > |                                 |                                 |
> > |                                 |                                 |
> > |                              3  | 4                               |
> > +---------------------------------+                                 |
> >                                   |                                 |
> >                                   |                                 |
> >                                2  | 1                               |
> >                                   +---------------------------------+
> >
> The other alternative is to just confine the cursor to the visible
> region in this case -- make it 'impossible' to move from 1 to 2, and
> just block the cursor at 1. That seems better to me, and makes it much
> more like the existing root window where you simply cannot move outside
> of the window at all.

This is a *very* bad idea, if the size difference between these two
monitors is very small (e.g. 1680x1050 on the left hand size, 1280x1024
on the right hand side - BTW exactly the combination I have here).
In that case you certainly don't want your cursor to just stop on the
lower right edge of the left monitor when moving right, because the
difference is almost negligible.

So I guess this is all about personal taste. There probably is no best
practice at all.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <mhopf at suse.de>      __        __   __