Intel 915G Can't get 1680x1050 to work

david rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Apr 3 12:01:36 PDT 2007

> From: "Andrew Barr"
> On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 20:55 -0500, david rankin wrote:
>> Mates,
>>
>>     This is my first post and I'm rather stumped at the moment. I have
>> been
>> googling this issue and I can find a lot of discussion about it, but I
>> can't
>> find a solution in the archives.
>>
>>     I have a new Acer AL2216W that runs native at 1680x1050. I am using
>> the
>> analog input. The install is Suse 10 with xorg-x11-6.8.2-100.2 and the
>> card
>> is an Intel 915G. The video card supports 1680x1050 natively and works
>> well
>> under M$. I cannot for the life of me get the display to work under suse
>> 10.
>> It either is stuck in 1280x1024 or when configured for 1680x1050, the
>> screen
>> extends well beyond to edge of the monitor in some sort of "virtual"
>> resolution that you have to scroll the mouse to be able to find the edge
>> of
>> the screen. Also, when I provide the proper modeline created with gtf or
>> others that are very similar suggested for the Dell problem, x starts
>> fine,
>> but the Monitor reports that it cannot create the display and I have to
>> ctrl+alt+backspace to kill the server.
>>

> You should try the 2.0 release candidate versions of the intel driver
> (available from X.org FTP). They are capable of programming modes
> natively on Intel graphics hardware instead of relying on the video BIOS
> to do it. I am using the latest 1.9.93 release on a G965 and an 855GM
> (i830-generation) without any issues so far.

Thanks Andrew,

    I have downloaded xf86-video-intel-1.9.93 but I have not compiled it yet
because I need to figure out the ./configure options for the PREFIX and
EPREFIX directories for SuSE 10.0. You said the 2.0 release candidates. I
can't find them. I'll take another look. Do you know offhand what the
./configure options should be for SuSE 10? I would really like to solve this
problem....

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street