backporting xserver-xorg-video-intel 1.9.94 + xorg 1.3rc5, usage report

emisca emisca.ml at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 12:17:54 PDT 2007

This is a list of what I've backported and its compilation order:

xcb-proto
libpthread-stubs0-dev
libxcb
xtrans
x11proto-core
x11proto-input
x11proto-randr
x11proto-damage
x11proto-gl
libxrandr
xbase-clients
libdrm
mesa
xorg-server

The packages I've updated are:
libdrm2 libgl1-mesa-dev libgl1-mesa-dri libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa
libglu1-mesa-dev libxrandr-dev libxrandr2 mesa-common-dev mesa-utils
x11proto-core-dev x11proto-input-dev x11proto-randr-dev xbase-clients
xserver-xorg-core xserver-xorg-video-i810 xtrans-dev

It works.. these things are relatively new. It seems I have not dpms
problems anymore with my lcd screen :-D

xrandr 1.2 is really a dream that become true... but perhaps there is
no application support by gnome and kde. The geometry of X changes but
the window manager doesn't read the changes or it's not notified. Do
you know if there are workarounds for this?

Opengl performance is the same, using the legacy driver. I've not
tried the new i915_tex driver as is still young and unstable and needs
newer drm and agpgart kernel modules.

I've not seen AIGLX improvements. The overlays (video and gl apps)
still don't work well, especially simple glut applications. Is there
any work in progress to solve this?

Intel EXA acceleration is very slow compared to XAA, and I can often
notice some artifacts when windows are resized (using kwin 3.5.6).
Using a compositing manager (beryl 0.2.0, compiz 0.3.6) the
performance are still slow, compared to XAA.

In conclusion I've seen many and many improvements in xorg development
in the last year, thanks to everybody who contributed, good job!!

Bye,
Emilio