Knowing which characters are actually available in a font

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Wed Apr 18 06:47:52 PDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 03:35:48PM +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 10:05:48PM +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> > Once I've loaded a font with XLoadFont, and an XQueryFont tells me
> > that all_chars_exist is false, is there an efficient way to know which
> > characters are actually available?
>

> Ok, nobody answered.  Is that a case of "nobody knows" or "wrong
> list"?

perhaps it's the wrong list - though since developers on this list continue
to make releases of the related code, a week should have been sufficient.

xterm makes a check for this situation - iirc, there's no X11 function which
does it (not even undocumented).

Xft has an analogous function (not for the same fonts...), but since it's
mostly undocumented you would have to read the source code.  xterm uses
that, too.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net