Khronos group, OpenGL ES/miniglx/EGL?

Solerman Kaplon solerman at wonder.com.br
Thu Apr 19 06:19:39 PDT 2007

Dave Airlie escreveu:

> There is lots of embedded X, what do you think the N800, back to the
> Digital IPAQ are running?.. there is also the twin project which is
> being used to do a bootloader which is an embedded windowing system...
>
> Miniglx and EGL are the two project that are trying to do a HW
> accelerated open source GL stack with out X, we don't have driver for
> many cards that support these, and there is a lot of other work to be
> done around card setup before this can happen. Miniglx is considered a
> hack and *embedded* people use it where they know what graphics chip
> they want to use...

Not replying to you in particular, but one thought just crossed my mind:
embedded hw will become powerful enough to run a full OpenGL stack
before non-embedded start using EGL and similar wide-scale. It is just a
matter of time, even if it not happening already (reminds me of iPhone
which will in theory run OSX in full).

Solerman