xf86-video-intel Textured Video vs Video Overlay

Ken Mandelberg km at mathcs.emory.edu
Sat Apr 21 18:10:12 PDT 2007

Today was the first chance I had to run the 2.0.0 code on my i915 2ghz
Pentium M processor Laptop. Until now I had been running on a dual core
mac.

I was surprised that running  HD video through any of the media players
with the default Textured Video port was unusable. The frame drops were
staggering. The media player would use close to half the cpu, and the X
server would use all the rest (and needed more). This didn't show on the
dual core, because there were cycles to burn.

As it happens I've been generally flip flopping the Textured Video with
the Video Overlay initaliization on the mac, just to get brightness and
contrast control.  Thats a fairly subtle need. On the single core laptop
Overlay its essential. Using the Overlay the X server uses negligible
cpu, and the media player  has enough cpu to keep up.

I know the client can intelligently pick the port, but the reality is
that most of them don't (MythTV, xine, vlc). Actually, I think it would
be expecting a lot for them to know if CPU limitation, or the need for
dual monitors was more important.

I really think it would be a good idea in a future release to make the
default XV port an xorg.conf option.