xrandr -s x ; x>2 permanently changes s.th. in hardware state [was: Re: xf86-video-intel 2.0.0 warnings]

Jens Stroebel dr-xorg at bcsoft.de
Mon Apr 23 05:28:14 PDT 2007

On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 11:13:10AM -0700, Eric Anholt wrote:
	[...]
> > (WW) intel(0): ESR is 0x00000001, instruction error
> > (WW) intel(0): Existing errors found in hardware state.
>
> Yes.  If someone could track down what was causing the error reported in
> this one whenever it occurs, that could probably help with various
> stability issues.

I get something very similar in the log when I call

	xrandr -s (something)

where (something) > 2 with the latest git checkout (of today, 2007-04-23)
of server + inteldriver.

After calling

	xrandr -s 3

the display turns dark and stays that way even after

	xrandr -s 0

is called to revert the changes. Even after a restart of the server, the
problem persists; I have to reboot the machine to get back to a working X.

==== this appears at restart of xrandr-broken X without rebooting ======
(WW) intel(0): ESR is 0x00000001
(WW) intel(0): Existing errors found in hardware state.

This does not happen under other circumstances here, but as far as I know,
there are no applications in use here (yet) which uses RandR funbctionality,
so I am not surprised about that.

			greets,
			  Jens
dr-xorg at bcsoft.de