Maintainership for the abandoned acecad driver

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Apr 24 17:24:05 PDT 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 02:15:09AM +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 April 2007 02:00, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 01:18:53AM +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> >> 1.1.2 which includes an initial implementation of automatic device
> >> detection).
> >
> > Awesome.  How is the automatic device detection done, though?  I'd like
> > to avoid a repeat of the evdev disaster ...
>
> No, much simpler. I got the idea (and much of the code) from the synaptics
> driver: it tries each /dev/input/eventX until one is found whose driver
> name begins with "acecad". It's a little too braindead at the moment, but I
> don't know if it's possible to just ask the kernel "tell me about the
> eventX handled by the usb_acecad module".

Egh.  It would be really nice if this was _only_ triggered if Device was
explicitly set to 'auto' or so.  We can handle this much, much better in
newer versions of the server (input hotplug).

> > Right, it could probably be optimised by making git-format-patch dump
> > into a directory and using --compose with the directory for
> > git-send-email.  The manpage is a bit confusing about the
> > --compose/--in-reply-to interactions, but hopefully it'll DTRT.
>
> Did it? gmail didn't thread the things correctly, maybe because of the
> subject change, but they appear correctly threaded through the gmane
> interface --except for the last two messages which I had to send in a
> second batch ...

Ah, that explains it.  Patches 1 and 2 are a reply to 0, but 3 and 4 are
separate.  So yeah, I guess it does DTRT.  Having a sleep in between the
mails would be great, too.  (The reason I do them separately is because
Exchange has somewhat random delivery, so any patches I send like this
at work can end up randomised unless I sleep for a few seconds in
between.)

Cheers,
Daniel