HOWTO: X700 with DualHead MergedFB and dri for Debian SID

Hans-Jürgen Koch hjk at linutronix.de
Fri Apr 27 16:50:38 PDT 2007

Am Freitag 27 April 2007 21:28 schrieb Ricardo Ribalda Delgado:
> Hi.
> I have made a list for setting up X700 DualHead with MergedFB and DRI.
> Thank all of you for your help!

I thank _you_ for giving this feedback! A lot of threads end with
somebody giving advice, and we never know if it worked or not.
That's discouraging for the one who gave the advice, and useless
and annoying for those who search the archives for a solution.

> 1st Download and install xserver-xorg-video-ati >=6.6.191-1 (now is in
> experimental)

I guess you mean Debian experimental? So 6.6.3-2 from unstable doesn't work?

> 3rd
> rmmod fglrx #If necessary

Don't install it in the first place :-)

> modprobe radeon
> Add radeon to your /etc/modules

Shouldn't be neccessary - X loads it automatically, I think.
For those who compile their kernels themselves: "radeon" is
the kernel's drm module for these cards, to be found under
drivers/char devices. You need to enable DRM support and
the Radeon DRM driver.

> 4th restart X

e.g. by running /etc/init.d/kdm restart (or gdm if you use
Gnome).

> THANK YOU LIST!!!!

Thank you, Ricardo! I'll try this with my X300, too.

Hans