Fwd: xf86-video-intel in ubuntu feisty (needed dependencies)

Brett Johnson brett at hp.com
Mon Apr 30 15:31:32 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 13:56 +0200, stefan wrote:
> On 4/27/07, Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com> wrote:
>         Compositing, and whatever OpenGL mojo wine/cxoffice uses to emulate
>         directx and 'doze opengl doesn't seem to work, but I haven't
>         had sufficient time or motivation to figure out why.
>
> About Ross's packages and DRI/Composite/GL: after more tests, it looks like
> there is some screen size limit in DRI: if "Virtual 2304 1024" is
> present in xorg.conf,
> (which is needed for my dual screen setup), DRI complains about the
> width being > 2048...

Yes, I was aware of that limitation, and set my "virtual" option to
"1920x1200", so I could at least use my laptop on an external 23"
display.

> Without the "Virtual" directive, DRI loads correctly; adding Composite
> (in xorg.conf too)

Ahh, this turns out to be the key..  I guess the composite extension is
turned on by default in ubuntu builds, but not in Ross's.  Simply adding
'Option "Composite" "Enable"' to the "Extensions" section in my
xorg.conf enabled compiz to run.  And adding 'Option
"XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"' to my "Device" section seems to fix the
redraw issues.

The only remaining thing I can't figure out is that a WINE application
tells me "Could not setup OpenGL render view!" when it attempts to draw
a 3d view.  Given that it's a 'doze app, I have no clue what that
actually means, and adding "--verbose" to the wine command line doesn't
give me any info either.  But it seems to be related to either the new
intel driver/xorg or Ross's build, as the application works ok with the
feisty 1.2.0 Xorg build.

--
Brett Johnson <brett at hp.com>