NSC video driver 2.8.2 - totally broken

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Wed Aug 1 08:49:32 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have an updated and LX patch here:

  http://dl.exactcode.de/oss/xorg/

I wanted to commit it when I initially did the merging, but gaining
write access took a little at that time and later on the daily workload
on my desk grew beyond joy.

The patch should work, and I probably should start commiting it.

Btw. I do not find the GX/LX parts splitout into the xf86-video-amd
that pleasing, The GX support is in the -nsc driver anyway, and
just adding the LX bits, and probably better unifying the sources
is a more pleasant way to go.

Also instead of the soon fading (as AMD stopped the Geode development
in favour of future Turion64++ based embedded stuff and ATi silicon).

The amd driver name should better be reserved for the next AMD/ATi
generation (after avivio) than the needless code fork from the -nsc
driver.

Just my 0.02€, but comments welcome.

On Wednesday 01 August 2007 17:25:43 Markus Stockhausen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I got an info from Kristian Høgsberg to contact this list for issues
> regarding the NSC X.ORG video driver - so I write here.
>
> It seems as if I have faced a major problem when making the latest 2.8.2
>
> NSC X.ORG video driver for Linux on IA32. The bug is described in X.Org
> Bugzilla Bug 9588 (Removal of XFree86Server define broke nsc on
> non-Linux
> OS'es) and sadly Linux systems are affected too. You can find a small
> discussion of the problem at http://muzso.hu/node/3929. The complete
> initialization path is going wrong.
>
> As the 2.8.2 driver is definetly not working when compiled from source
> with X.Org 7.2 my suggestion would be to substitute all occurrences of
> "#ifdef XFree86Server" with an appropriate precompiler check. When using
> the !XFree86Server compilation path the driver is totally stuck and
> useless.
>
> Because I don't know how to provide patches to this project I would like
>
> to make the necessary changes and send the diff files to anyone for
> uploading the corrected code. Please give me a short feedback of how we
> can
> get the fixes in place.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Markus

> Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail
> irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und
> vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte
> Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht gestattet.
>
> Über das Internet versandte E-Mails können unter fremden Namen erstellt oder
> manipuliert werden. Deshalb ist diese als E-Mail verschickte Nachricht keine
> rechtsverbindliche Willenserklärung.
>
> Collogia
> Unternehmensberatung AG
> Ubierring 11
> D-50678 Köln
>
> Vorstand:
> Kadir Akin
> Prof. Gerd M. Henselmann
> Dr. Michael Höhnerbach
>
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates:
> Hans Kristian Langva
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Köln
> Registernummer: HRB 52 497

> e-mail is strictly forbidden.
>
> e-mails sent over the internet may have been written under a wrong name or
> been manipulated. That is why this message sent as an e-mail is not a
> legally binding declaration of intention.
>
> Collogia
> Unternehmensberatung AG
> Ubierring 11
> D-50678 Köln

  Geschäftsführer: Susanne Klaus, René Rebe
  Sitz: Berlin, Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 105 123 B
  USt-IdNr.: DE251602478