Avivo crash in xf86MapPciMem (X1950Pro 512M) and CRT blanking

Jerome Glisse glisse at freedesktop.org
Thu Aug 2 02:53:35 PDT 2007

Robert Tate wrote:

>     > Once I limited it to 256M, X would start but it put my (older)
>     CRT monitor into a power save state (or gave it a mode it couldn't
>     handle).  When I connected my wife's LCD monitor prior to starting
>     X it would work correctly even if I switched back to the CRT (both
>     use 15-pin VGA connectors).  I believe this is in part because the
>     CRT doesn't provide EDID information.  I'm a bit confused by what
>     I see in the log when I start X with the CRT connected, it has a
>     message about configuring crtc(0) for 1152x768, but all those
>     modes are rejected above; there's also a message for crtc(1) in
>     1024x768 but it's a single-headed configuration.  (When the LCD is
>     connected there's only messages for crtc(0) in 1024x768.)
>

> It's probably a useless observation, but I got it to "work" by
> changing avivo_output_setup to always assign output->possible_crtcs =
> 1.  (I expect this kills any chance of running dual headed.)  It came
> up in 1024x768 @ 60Hz -- the refresh rate surprises me.  In my
> xorg.conf, I've got "HorizSync    31.5 - 64.3" and "VertRefresh  50.0
> - 90.0" which I thought should allow 75Hz.  (I get 1024x768 with
> fglrx.)  Is this just a limitation of the driver in its current
> state?  I hope this provides a bit more of a clue for someone...
>
> Thanks,
> Robert

That strange can you send the xorg log. In the old org log you did give
it was using crtc 0 and i don't see how this
would change anythings as they are handled the same way. For the 60Hz
this is because edid give this mode so
avivo use this one and likely simply ignore xorg provided mode. You can
try to add this mode with xrandr.

best,
Jerome Glisse