Integration of IMEs

Gerrit Sangel z0idberg at gmx.de
Wed Aug 8 14:18:19 PDT 2007

Hello,

I'm using Skim in KDE to input Japanese text. But I have several problems with
it, and the installation is not really user friendly (You have to define
several environmental variables and so on). I think this happens because
Skim/Scim is somehow a additional input method. I had to switch my qt and gtk
applications to scim so that they would use it instead of xim.

Even though, I still cannot input Japanese text in Openoffice or in Acrobat
Reader and some other programs. But I can perfectly use my ordinary german
keyboard layout.

Additionally, I have a toolbar for scim in which I can choose between Unicode
Raw Input, Japanese, Korean and so on. But if I want to switch to a, say,
French keyboard layout, I have to do this with the normal keyboard switcher.

Is there any way to integrate this all into xorg? I think, right now, it
discriminates languages with more complex scripts, because it is really
annoying not able to enter Japanese in all applications.
I think, the way it is done in Windows is perfectly fine. You don't have a
difference between a keyboard layout where every character has its own key
and a more complex input method.

Thanks in advance

Gerrit Sangel