Xorg Modular build on FreeBSD 7.0

Vincent Blondel vincent at xtra-net.org
Thu Aug 9 07:33:01 PDT 2007

Does somebody get some news for me ??
Maybe I can put copy of the built binaries if somebody gets a FreeBSD to
test this compilation ..

Vincent

On Tue, August 7, 2007 16:48, Vincent Blondel wrote:

Hi,

I am back from holiday so this morning I took back my problems with Xorg.

I finally solved ( I think so ) compilation problems. After some reading I
noticed some requirements. Mesa needs some Xorg packages to compile but
Xorg needs Mesa, Pixman, Drm to compile so this is the way  I compile the
whole things :

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export ACLOCAL="aclocal -I /usr/local/gnu-autotools/share/aclocal-1.10 -I
/usr/X11R6/share/aclocal"
export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R6/include"
export PATH=/usr/local/gnu-autotools/bin:$PATH

* util/macros
* proto/*
* xcb/proto
* lib/ libxtrans libXau libXdmcp
* xcb/ pthread-stubs libxcb
* lib/ libX11 libXt libXmu libXi libXxf86vm
* drm

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr/X11R6
gmake
gmake dist
env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib gmake install

* mesa

gmake realclean
gmake freebsd-dri-x86
cp lib/*_dri.so /usr/X11R6/lib/dri/
cp lib/lib*     /usr/X11R6/lib/

* pixman
* ./util/modular/build.sh

This seems to compile nicely except I always get some errors like

***** make failed on lib/libXcomposite
***** dist failed on lib/libXcomposite
***** install failed on lib/libXcomposite
***** make failed on lib/libXtst
***** dist failed on lib/libXtst
***** install failed on lib/libXtst
***** autogen failed on app/rendercheck
***** make failed on app/rendercheck
***** dist failed on app/rendercheck
***** install failed on app/rendercheck
***** make failed on app/xdriinfo
***** install failed on app/xdriinfo
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-vmmouse
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-vmmouse
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-acecad
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-acecad
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-calcomp
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-calcomp
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-citron
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-citron
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-dmc
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-dmc
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-dynapro
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-dynapro
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-elo2300
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-elo2300
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-magellan
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-magellan
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-microtouch
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-microtouch
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-penmount
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-penmount
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-spaceorb
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-spaceorb
***** make failed on driver/xf86-input-void
***** install failed on driver/xf86-input-void
***** dist failed on driver/xf86-video-nv
***** dist failed on font/arabic-misc
***** dist failed on font/mutt-misc

You can find copy of the complete build phase at
http://jlang.dyndns.org/files/Xorg/X11R6.log.

So I tried to startx my gnome environment but now I get another problem
with a complete freeze of the desktop. startx begins to load, I get a
black screen and then nothing happens. I also cannot ping my desktop
anymmore. One  solution remains, ... reboot :(-

Maybe I forgot something in compilation phase. Any help would be welcome.

Vincent

On Thu, July 26, 2007 08:59, Josh Triplett wrote:
Vincent Blondel wrote:
> On Tue, July 24, 2007 10:50, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Vincent Blondel wrote:
>

>> It would be nice to change /bin/sh with /bin/bash. This would be clear
>> for BSD people that maybe not know that /bin/sh is most of the time just
>>  a symbolic link to /bin/bash on Linux systems. Furthermore, it is in
>> this case incompatible with native /bin/sh on FreeBSD platforms but
>> this is not my current problem and I give you this little warning just
>> for info.
>
> What errors did you receive when using FreeBSD's native /bin/sh ?
>

> bash should not be required. If it is, then that is a bug. Please provide
>  details so this can be fixed.
>
> The syntax 'if [ $var == "val" ]' is not so really appreciated by Bourne
> Shell. If you look at both files http://jlang.dyndns.org/files/Xorg/sh and
>  http://jlang.dyndns.org/files/Xorg/bash, you will see the behaviour
> differences between sh and bash.

The use of == with test or [ constitutes a bashism.  If you see any instance
of that in a /bin/sh script in Xorg, that represents a bug, with a very
simple fix: s/==/=/.

- Josh Triplett