Question about Neomagic driver

Nolan Check nolan.check at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:50:57 PDT 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nolan Check <nolan.check at gmail.com>
Date: Aug 9, 2007 11:44 AM
Subject: Re: Question about Neomagic driver
To: Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com>

On 8/9/07, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Nolan Check <nolan.check at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The MagicGraph 256AV is the NM2200 chipset. According to the man page:
> > "All depths are accelerated except for depth 24 which is only
> > accelerated on NM2200 and newer models." Now the question is, why
> > doesn't 2D acceleration get enabled for me? Or maybe it is but it's
> > just really slow.
>
> check your xorg log.  It could be either really slow (24 bit was
> always pretty slow on chips that old) or perhaps not enabled, or
> perhaps there's a bug in the driver preventing it from being enabled.

Yep, X.Org sure has a lot of issues with the Tecra 8000. I've attached
Xorg.0.log in case anyone can help. I see some suspicious lines, but I
don't understand what's keeping acceleration from being enabled:

Line 300:
(II) NEOMAGIC(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
(II) NEOMAGIC(0): VESA VBE DDC Level 2
(II) NEOMAGIC(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 1 sec.
f000:8893: 01 ILLEGAL EXTENDED X86 OPCODE!

Line 318:
(**) NEOMAGIC(0): Option StrangeLockups set: disabling some acceleration

Line 510:
(II) NEOMAGIC(0): Acceleration not Initialized
(==) NEOMAGIC(0): Backing store disabled
(In 16-bit display mode, I don't get the above two lines.)

There are other problems:

- The Tecra 8000 BIOS has an option which lets me choose whether to
stretch lower resolutions up to 1024x768 or keep them at their
original size. X.Org ignores this option; it always stretches the
display.

- Upon installing Linux, I have to modify the HorizSync and
VertRefresh settings in xorg.conf, otherwise it's limited to 640x480.