can not launch any window manager after system crash

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Tue Aug 14 06:20:20 PDT 2007

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, B Thomas wrote:

> I am using Debian/Etch. My system crashed while using gnome and
> imagemagick. After a hard reboot I find I am unable to launch
> any window manager (be it kde gnome or fvwm). All I see
> is a grey background with a functioning cursor. This doesn't
> seem to be a hardware problem as I replaced the video card
> and it made no difference. Besides if I boot from a live
> linux cd (INSERT security/rescue toolkit) the window manager
> works just fine.
>
> There are no particular error messages. Though sometimes
> I see an error messages stating xinit seg faulted (from
> line 154 of /usr/bin/startx).
>
> Would be grateful for any suggestions you can make.

Hi,

You may be able to get better or more timely assistance on a Debian list.

It sounds like your X still works.

Did you configure your system to start fvwm or kde?

How are you starting X?

If it was my system, I would do:

- create ~/.xinitrc with one line:

xterm

- start X with "startx"

And when that X starts I hope that xterm starts too. Then try to run a
window manager from that xterm like:

fvwm &

Can you get that far?

  Jeremy C. Reed