[patch] Use priorities in the HAL input.x11_driver property

Nicolas Trangez eikke at eikke.com
Wed Aug 15 07:22:02 PDT 2007

As discussed with Daniel on IRC today, it would be useful if input
drivers could ship FDI files for them to work with the HAL-based hotplug
stuff. I sent in a patch before (attached again) to create a strlist
property, x11_drivers, so multiple drivers could be defined for one
device so we can have fallbacks (eg evdev + keyboard, synaptics + evdev
+ mouse,...).

There's one issue here: the order of strings in this list is depending
on the order in which the FDI file information is parsed/added to the
device.

The second attached patch (a new one, grin) works further on the first
one by changing the format in input.x11_drivers somewhat: instead of
using the plain driver name, it's changed to "10:evdev", "20:mouse" etc,
where the first number signifies the priority. The list is parsed,
sorted, and drivers are tried in ascending priority order, so fallback
drivers will still work.

It's possible there are some issues with the code, please tell me if so
so I can fix them :-)

Thanks,

Nicolas