xorg-server 1.3.99 and the synaptics driver

Marek Wawrzyczny marekw1977 at yahoo.com.au
Fri Aug 17 07:15:44 PDT 2007

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your tips. I've updated the overlays. My original problem turned
out to be a misconfiguration in the xorg.conf file.

Had to change
        InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"    "AlwaysCore"
        InputDevice     "Synaptics Touchpad"    "CorePointer"

in the "ServerLayout" section and change
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"

I'm guessing that the autodetection code was detecting the Alps touchpad as a
PS/2 device first (confirmed that this occurs if I take out synaptic device
config out of xorg.conf) and then the server attempted to configure the
device using the synaptics driver as per config file.

I'll try out the autodetection of devices later.

Cheers,

Marek Wawrzyczny