Wide Screen + External Monitor Possible?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Aug 21 01:16:30 PDT 2007

Richard Lynch wrote:
> I've been Googling and futzing with xorg.conf for several months now,
> to no avail...
>
> Can anybody confirm/deny that it is possible to convince the i810/i915
> driver to have a laptop wide-screen LCD and an external 19-inch with
> "dual head" configuration, i.e., more screen real estate?

Should be possible with randr 1.2 (e.g. a new-ish xserver + intel
driver) I'd opt for v 1.3 of the xserver and v2.1.1 of the intel driver.

> Under Windoze:
> LCD: 1366x768
> VGA: 1280x1024

With those resolutions you will loose DRI capability if you line them up
horizonatally as the dimensions will be >2048. If you line them up
vertically all directions fit within a 2048x2048 square and should mean
that DRI is still available.

> Can anybody even just tell me if I'm supposed to be dinking with
> Xinerama, TwinView, or something entirely different?

Neither, TwinView is nvidia proprietary term/tech and Xinerama is now
outdated in favour of randr 1.2

Col.