color calibration and xvideo (xv)

Friedrich Schiller freddy_schiller at yahoo.de
Tue Aug 21 12:19:22 PDT 2007

Hello,

    I am wondering whether there is a way to configure the X11 system
to have the xvideo (xv) interface respect color calibration?
Specifically, xv seems to ignore the "color lookup table" (LUT)
provided by the graphics hardware.

Typically, on startup of gdm I call "dispwin" or "xcalib" to load
a suitable color profile (from a icc / vcgt / cal file) into the video card LUT.
On my system this greatly enhances colors and removes the strong
color cast of my monitor (I used argyll for profiling).

However, I have noticed that programs using the xv interface apparently
do not make use of the LUT, hence they do not benefit from color calibration at all.
As a result, for instance when I open a video, say, in VLC there is

absolutely no color correction of the movie itself - even though the surrounding
Gnome desktop is color corrected.

I find this a bit puzzling as I thought the color correction is done by the
hardware (via the LUT)?

Is there any way to fix this?  Currently, my solution is simply not to
use xv but instead force the video player to use the standard X11 interface...

Many thanks for any hints.  I'd be also grateful for pointers to the correct forum
or mailing list is this one is not appropriate.

Freddy

      Die etwas anderen Infos rund um das Thema Reisen. BE A BETTER WELTENBUMMLER!  www.yahoo.de/clever