Avivo and CRT without EDID

Robert Tate wrtate at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Aug 22 21:04:36 PDT 2007

I just tried the latest version of the Avivo driver from GIT using a 512MB
X1950PRO -- works significantly better for me than the previous version, but
I still had to patch it a little (attached).

My CRT doesn't support being queried for valid modes and this is still
causing problems.  When I tried the current verison, I got the errors "(EE)
avivo(0): No valid modes." and "(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable
configuration."  The Xorg.log indicated "Output DVI-I using monitor section
My Monitor" and "Output VGA has no monitor section", but I'm using VGA.

I discovered that changing the first error return in
avivo_output_detect_ddc_dac (avivo_output.c) from
XF86OutputStatusDisconnected to XF86OutputStatusUnknown causes the CRT to
work.  (The Xorg.log still indicates DVI-I not VGA is using the "My Monitor"
section... I don't know if that means anything since the card has two DVI
connectors and I'm using the adapter that came with it for the 15-pin VGA
connector.)

The driver still forces a 60Hz resolution even with a manual modeline
specification (and refresh rates that should allow at least 75Hz).

Still, it's much improved -- Thanks!

Robert