965GM issues

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Aug 24 17:43:38 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 20:05 +0100, Rui Tiago Cação Matos wrote:
> [snip impatience]
>
> > On 8/23/07, Jason Sewall <jasonsewall at gmail.com> wrote:
> >         I recently bought a Lenovo X61 laptop and I've got Fedora 7
> >         installed on it. With the latest drivers, mesa, and drm
> >         (pulled + built from git last night) 3d works well and 2d
> >         image quality is crisp. However, there doesn't seem to be any
> >         XVideo or XShape extensions when I run the driver.

You've mis-built something then; these extensions aren't easily
disabled. Shape, in particular, has no driver component, and I don't
think you can even turn it off in the build anymore.

> For the 965 I think those are not implemented yet. Actually the 965
> doesn't even support video overlay, only textured video.

That's a hardware limitation; removing the overlay saved a pile of
gates.

>  And the chip
> documentation isn't completely free either, people who have it either
> work for intel or have got it through an NDA.

Yeah, the docs are full of non-Intel trade secrets. I'm working to get
some cleaned up versions published, but it will take the time an energy
of the hardware folks who are rather overcommitted these days.

> Besides, intel seems to be coming slowly into graphics drivers land even
> on Windows where only a recent driver update enabled hardware vertex
> shaders support even though the hardware has been available for almost a
> year now.

The 965 hardware vertex shaders have been supported under Linux since
the hardware shipped. We've also recently published an early GLSL
implementation for 965, and are busy working on XvMC support for 915/945
and 965. It's a lot of work writing video drivers (obviously, our work
would be far easier if other people could help, which is why I'm eager
to get docs published...)

keith.packard at intel.com