ati xrandr: cannot find crtc for output DVI-0

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 07:04:02 PDT 2007

On 8/29/07, Jan Dittmer <jdi at l4x.org> wrote:
> Alex Deucher wrote:

> >> Yes. I've the following in my xorg.conf now. If I understand
> >> the xorg.conf man page correctly this should disable Svideo
> >> on X start? Well, it does not work as expected. Also, when
> >> I enable the two Monitor lines below, the primary output switches
> >> to the DVI output and the color problems are _much_ worse. Perhaps
> >> this helps?
> >
> > Can you try updating to the latest driver bits?  I'm not sure about
> > the color/brightness yet, but the tv-load detection has been
>
> The latest driver (as pulled of 20 minutes before this mail) disables
> the s-video output and puts the monitors in clone yes. Also the xorg.conf
> posted earlier now correctly configures multi-head mode. Thanks!

good.

> > re-worked.  Do you have any color management or gamma correction
> > packages installed that automatically run at start up?  do you still
> > get the brightness if you star up a bare X server?
>
> Yes. Synchronization and picture quality on the dvi->vga head seems
> much worse than the one on the vga output in general even when
> configuring the exacltly same modes. I'll see that I a) dig up a
> dvi cable without the 4 extra pins, b) a new adapter and c) a new
> vga cable and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise I've a X300
> lying around which I could try instead (is that card supported?).

X300 is supported.

> >> Also, I think if you get valid ddc information from the DVI
> >> connector you can safely disable S-video by default (if not
> >> specified otherwise in the config).
> >> Is the Virtual line still necessary with the current driver?
> >
> > I've adjusted the default desktop size based on vram, but you may want
> > to adjust it manually depending on your set up.  It will print in the
> > log what size it is using.  We won't have dynamic resizing until the
> > drm memory manager bits land.
>
> With 128mb of VRAM it gives 2048x2048. A bit small... Has this value
> to be quadratic? I guess most people have their monitors side by side.
> So at least it should be 2560x1024 if not 3200x1200 by default to
> accomodate the most common multi-head setups. I take it that you can
> also reduce it with the Virtual stanca?

I just picked it as a reasonable max that will still leave FB tiling
enabled and not eat too much vram.  You can use the virtual line to
adjust the max desktop size as you see fit.  for r1xx/r2xx chips
you'll need to disable colortiling if you want to go bigger than
2048x2048.  For r3xx/r4xx, you'll have to disable colortiling if you
want to go bigger than ~4096x4096.
And yes, you can use the virtual line to reduce the size as well.

Alex