X display is good until user log in

Larry D. Brown brownld at indiana.edu
Thu Aug 30 09:40:57 PDT 2007

I am sure this is documented, but I can't find it.  I am working a
virtual machine on VMWare running RHEL 4 WS.  All users, except one have
good X displays.  The one user had all his /home files rsynced from a
physical machine, but the display was just fine until he tried to
configure the display.  He used a display mode that is not entirely
incompatible, in that something displays.  I would say the hsync refresh
is bad because the display is "ghosted" and repeated across the screen
three or four times.  That makes resetting with the GUI next to
impossible.  At the moment I am not able to use <CTRL><ALT><F1> to
access a VT session on the virtual machine, so I can't reset the GUI
that way, either.

I am looking for the user configuration that I can set manually as root
to fix this guy.  Where and what should I be looking for?  What do I
change?  I would like to keep the desktop set up if at all possible.
Thanks in advance.

Larry Brown
brownld at indiana.edu