New -amd Maintainer (was Re: [Info-linux] Announcement)

Bernardo Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri Aug 31 16:46:59 PDT 2007

Bryce Harrington wrote:

>> So please join me in welcoming Martin-?ric, and help make him feel at home.
>> (Hint, patches are a great house-warming gift.. :D).

Welcome!  I'm happy xorg is gathering a new maintainer...

However, I'd like to discuss this recent patch that brings
in a dozen auto-generated files under version control:

  http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/driver/xf86-video-amd.git;a=commitdiff;h=b29cce202abb0c6afb30ec1f06c98d7f84e8d2e4

Is this intentional?  What's the purpose?

Most projects today follow the convention not to keep any generated
files under version control, because it causes too many spurious
differences and, hence, merge conflicts.

Anyway, automake's "dist" target makes it easy to ship these generated
files in release tarball intended for end users and packagers.

--
   // Bernardo Innocenti - One Laptop Per Child
 \X/  http://www.codewiz.org/