Xorg Input Hotplugging

Sergio Monteiro Basto sergio at sergiomb.no-ip.org
Sat Dec 1 13:31:54 PST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 20:17 +0100, Pixel wrote:

> >> Should not it be actually "evdev" always? As evdev is really the only driver
> >> that would work?
>
> agreed. IMO XkbModel should not even be supported by evdev driver
>

> Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Simillar problems will happen with the keyboard, like arrow keys
> >> not working, in my case it was mapping to Print Screen, and calling
> >> ksnapshot when running kde.
> >
> > That's just your XKB model being set wrong.  I know the underlying
> > infrastructure works, because I've tested with multiple keyboards having
> > different layouts, etc.
>
> agreed. the "arrow keys" syndrom :)
>
> it is caused by apps like gnome-keyboard-properties which sets the xkb
> model when the user asked for some "internet" keyboard model.
> (cf http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2007-November/030433.html)
>
> out of the 134 "model"s possible (rules/xorg.lst), 127 are based on
> keycodes/xfree86. if you apply one of these 127 models to a evdev
> keyboard, you can be *sure* it will be wrong.
>
> here is the list of keysyms that will *always* be broken when applying
> a keycodes/xfree86 based model on evdev keyboard:
>
> : Home Up Prior Left Right End Down Next Insert Delete
> : KP_Enter KP_Divide XF86_Ungrab KP_Equal
> : Mode_switch Control_R ISO_Level3_Shift Super_L Multi_key Menu
> : Pause Break Print Sys_Req
>
> internet & multimedia keys will always be broken too.

Hi, I use kde and don't set any xkb model, kde could apply a xkb model
but I prefer put the keyboard configuration on xorg.conf.
Questions:
if evdev breaks so many things what is the point on use it ?

On xorg.conf what should be the configuration for pt xkblayout on an
compaq/HP laptop, presario model ? with evdev module.

you write "set keycodes/xfree86 based model on evdev keyboard
breaks ...", so, have we some command to unset keycodes/xfree86 based
model ?

Thanks,
--
Sérgio M. B.