Intel driver problem with TV output

Richard Goedeken SirRichard at fascinationsoftware.com
Sun Dec 2 07:15:45 PST 2007

Hello,

I am setting up an HTPC using an AOpen MiniPC (GM965 chipset, X3100 accelerator) loaded with Fedora 8 and I'm having
numerous problems with the video drivers.  The major problem is that I can't get the TV output working.  I have tried
with both the current software in the Fedora 8 repository (xorg server 1.3.0.0-33.fc8 and xorg-drv-i810 2.1.1-7.fc8) and
the latest in the Fedora 9 (rawhide) repository (xorg server 1.4.99.1-0.10.fc9 and xorg-drv-i810 2.2.0-1.fc9).  I have
attached the config and log files from the Fedora 8 setup.

As far as I can tell, everything in the log files look good.  Compiz is disabled.  I can even drag windows off the
desktop to the right (where the TV screen should be) and can move them totally off the screen, but the TV display is
always blank.  I've tried both the composite and component outputs.  I know the electrical path is good because the TV
flashes when starting the X server (with the newer drivers).

At one point when I was loading and bringing up the new drivers, I had booted in init level 3 (text only) and did a
'telinit 5' to bring up X, and I actually got a cursor on the TV.  But there was only the cursor on the TV (with a small
Fedora blue dot animation) and the main CRT monitor was blank, so I couldn't log in.  I restarted the X server and then
lost the cursor display on the TV.  I was unable to replicate this condition.

Has anyone been successful getting TV output to work on this chipset/hardware?

There are other major bugs that I've found as well.  Is there a Bugzilla server where I can log these?  In particular:
1. With the F9 (rawhide) drivers, the monitor goes into power-save mode when switching to a text VT.  Switching back to
X gives a blank screen (monitor powers up though), and requires an X restart or reboot to bring the display back.
2. With the F8 drivers, switching to a text VT works fine, but sometimes when switching back to X the screen is blank.
After switching back and forth several times the graphical display will appear correctly, without having to restart X.

Thanks,
Richard