About removing libc wrapper

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Dec 3 17:06:14 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 10:27:12PM -0200, pcpa at mandriva.com.br wrote:
>   I don't think we are going to have a sdk that would allow a
> vendor to distribe binaries that "just works" on Linux, FreeBSD,
> OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris, etc, anytime soon, and "killing" the
> libc wrapper basically gives up on the hope of having that working,
> unless something better is being worked on.

I don't think this is really an interesting problem.

>   But a well thought api, that is another thing we are not likely
> to have anytime soon, would prevent problems like modules
> having a very small "lifetime" and needing to be rebuilt
> frequently.

These are not caused by people wanting to use a different libc every day
of the week, or the definition of gettimeofday() changing.  They're
caused by the need to change internal structures, which we still expose
because our API is fundamentally flawed.  We can fix that and do better,
regardless of the libcwrapper, which I'm personally happy to see dead.

Cheers,
Daniel