Website maintenance volunteers?

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 08:10:21 PST 2007

2007/11/29, Arthur Huillet <arthur.huillet at free.fr>:
> But I'm unsure we need to change the wiki engine, it seems
> that it would represent a lot of work for everybody involved, and we certainly want to avoid that.

Yes, unless sure there are implementers who are able to do a complete
porting of all information to the new system in a short time, it's
better to fix the old system than to replace it with something
completely new. The new systems often do not reach the level
previously set until a very long time, as the migration paths usually
involve loss of all kinds of (meta)information.

Spam is not a huge problem with working automatic BadContent updating,
provided enough users have DeletePage rights. But captcha could be
welcome.

If you stay in Moin, what should be done in any case is to do a custom
theme file for MoinMoin - the default one is one of the ugliest around
IMHO. Some examples are available at
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinMoinScreenShots.
https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu is quite neat. I also like hiding
of some or all controls depending on whether one is logged in or not,
and adding some extra navigation links in the theme - see eg.
http://www.vapaasuomi.fi/ and http://wiki.ubuntu-fi.org/UKK (I did
Moin themes for those) - but it's more suitable for the more end-user
oriented sites where majority of readers are just that, readers.
Usually some elements like the "trail" are worth hiding in any case to
remove clutter, IMO.

Image usage problems diminish somewhat if ImageLink macro is made usable.

Moin tweaking is easier than changing the whole system, but there
should be someone to do that, too, so as always it comes down to which
people are there that may do enough work. So changing the whole thing
is definitely an option, too.

-Timo (I can give the theme py files I've done as an example if
needed, though there are others lying around, too)