Slow xterm response

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Dec 5 09:09:38 PST 2007

I've posted twice before without response, but it's very irritating to
deal with on a daily basis.

Every day I plug my Gutsy laptop into the lan and hit power.

Then on my desktop I ssh into the laptop and start up a development
web application.

As soon as the laptop's screen goes blank my xterm sessions show
latency.  If I hold down a key and repeat a letter it goes along in
fits and starts.

Now, I do not notice any latency in accessing the web application on
the laptop, but I think that would be much harder to see.  So, I'm not
sure if it's something related to just the xterm session or for all
processes on the laptop.  There's no jump in cpu usage when this
happens so I don't think it's related to some process looping.

I've got a script I use when it happens:

XAUTHORITY=/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth sudo /usr/bin/xset -q -display :0.0 dpms force off -q | grep Monitor

which gets rid of the latency.

If I run it *before* the latency starts, like I just did, the first
run make the latency show up:

moseley at tiger:~/cat_svn$ XAUTHORITY=/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth sudo /usr/bin/xset -q -display :0.0 dpms force off -q | grep Monitor
[sudo] password for moseley:
  Monitor is On
  Monitor is Off

<now latency>

moseley at tiger:~/cat_svn$ XAUTHORITY=/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth sudo /usr/bin/xset -q -display :0.0 dpms force off -q | grep Monitor
  Monitor is Off
  Monitor is Off

<fixed>

I suspect that's not much to go on, but if that was happing to you and
driving you crazy what would you do to narrow down?

Weird.

X Window System Version 1.3.0
Release Date: 19 April 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12ubuntu8)
Current Operating System: Linux tiger 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Sun Oct 14 23:05:12 GMT 2007 i686
Build Date: 29 September 2007

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org