Slow xterm response

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Wed Dec 5 10:55:55 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 12:46:56PM -0600, Pat Kane wrote:
> Does you laptops "cpu MHz" change when the screen blanks?
> What does "cat /proc/cpuinfo" show before and after the latency
> event?

No difference.  And again, when the screen first blanks by itself
(which is not dpms sleep, but just screen blanking) is when the
latency starts.  I can "force" the latency by running my xset command
*before* the screen blanks.  Then the latency starts and if I run the
xset command a second time it goes away.

If I wait for it to blank on its own (which is what normally happens)
then the latency starts and then I only need to run the xset command
once to "fix" it.

So, running fine (screen not blank yet):

moseley at tiger:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 3994.41
clflush size    : 64

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 1000.000
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips        : 3990.04
clflush size    : 64

This triggers the latency (because the screen on the laptop isn't
blank yet):

moseley at tiger:~$ XAUTHORITY=/var/lib/gdm/:0.Xauth sudo /usr/bin/xset -q -display :0.0 dpms force off -q | grep Monitor
[sudo] password for moseley:
  Monitor is On
  Monitor is Off

Now latency shows up: