[xorg] Re: Request to reconfigure the list with [xorg] in subject line

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Wed Dec 5 15:53:27 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 06:10:40PM +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 09:05:27AM -0800, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> > Sorry, such an attitude is just too far over the top for my tastes.  Just to
> > remind you we are supposed to be part of a _free_ software movement which
> > fundamentally means any subject lines are allowed.
>
> This is complete bollocks and has _nothing_ to do with _anything_.  Even
> if we accept your argument, then it also means that we're free to have
> subject lines without [xorg] in it.
>
> Daniel, finding this discussion incredible (in the Victorian sense)

Well, I for instance don't see how people can be so fervently against
having [xorg] in front of the subject.

I'm sure that those who do not automatically filter are much more
inconvenienced than those who do filter. I'm sure that those who do
filter usually just cannot be bothered about this subject at all.

My guess is that the same logic does apply when considering video
drivers: "Buy a new videocard, like everyone else, or shut up."

This of course does gloss over the fact that "everyone else" includes
those that were already forced to buy from the big three remaining
players with the same reasoning.

There are a few much more inflamatory analogies along the same line,
but it's probably best to not bring those up here and now.

Luc Verhaegen.
SUSE/Novell X Driver Developer.