Output problems with 945GM

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Dec 6 10:41:27 PST 2007

On Thursday, December 06, 2007 5:54 am Matteo Brusa wrote:
> Hi,
> i have some HDTV configuration issues with my 945GM based pc, i hope i'm in
> the right place to ask. I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and therefore the intel
> driver version 2:2.1.1-0ubuntu9.
>
> VGA output
> The VGA output works great, it uses the 1360x768 resolution when plugged to
> an HDTV. Unfortunately, my actual TV has no VGA input, so i'm trying to get
> either HDMI (with DVI adapter cable) or component running.
> LDVS
> In X, LVDS is always enabled although i have no LCD screen. I tried "xrandr
> --ouput LDVS --off" without success, and the intel module does not support
> any xorg.conf option to shut it off. Could this be the reason why xvidtune
> always shows 1024x768 and not the actual screen value? Component
> I always get 1024x768, no matter which Modeline i specify. Any suggestion?

You actually can disable it:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier "Bogus LCD"
	Option "ignore" "true"
EndSection

Section "Driver"
        Identifier "Card0"
        Driver "intel"
        VendorName "Intel Corporation"
        BoardName "Unknown Board"
        Option "Monitor-LVDS" "Bogus LCD"
EndSection

And since we've been getting so many reports about this stuff and always end
up pointing people at http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html, I
think I'll update the man page with some more detail...

> TDMS-1
> I got 1280x768 working, with noticeable overscan. How can i use the same
> 1360x768 with DVI, or get rid of the overscan?

What's the output of 'xrandr'?

> I also tried to disable DDC; in this case i cannot set any video mode with
> randr. Do i need to use the 915resolution tool, or it's not relevant
> anymore?

It's not relevant anymore and should generally be avoided...

> What is the output name for the component: TDMS-1, VGA?

I'm not sure what you mean here, TMDS-1 and VGA are separate outputs...

> Last question: X -verbose says "(==) intel(0): VideoRam: 262144 KB". Does
> it mean that it allocates 256 megs for the as video memory?

It means it can allocate up to 256M for video memory as needed.  It doesn't
necessarily allocate all of that by default though...

Jesse