Best manual-to-automatic ChangeLog commit?

James Cloos cloos+pdx-xorg at jhcloos.com
Thu Dec 6 12:32:45 PST 2007

>>>>> "Donnie" == Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz at gentoo.org> writes:

Donnie> You might need a PHONY rule as well, otherwise you won't
Donnie> regenerate the ChangeLog if the file already exists and
Donnie> you end up distributing a stale ChangeLog.

OK.  Several converted repos lack the PHONY line.  In xorg/*/* —
including the two I just converted — 27 lack a PHONY.

And 256 still have a static ChangeLog file.

I’ll add and push the missing PHONY lines now.

xorg/app/xmag is, I think, an easy-to-remember choice to be a reference
commit.  Cf:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/xmag/diff/Makefile.am?id=80faa002

which shows an append of this to the Makefile.am:

,----[ reference_changelog_makefile_append ]

| EXTRA_DIST += ChangeLog
| MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = ChangeLog
|
| .PHONY: ChangeLog
|
| ChangeLog:
| 	(GIT_DIR=$(top_srcdir)/.git git-log > .changelog.tmp && mv .changelog.tmp ChangeLog; rm -f .changelog.tmp) || (touch ChangeLog; echo 'git directory not found: installing possibly empty changelog.' >&2)
|
| dist-hook: ChangeLog
`----

-JimC