Updating the wiki and other issues

Jon Grosshart jgrosshart at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 13:32:29 PST 2007

Greets all. I'm interested in whipping this page into shape.

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/Releases/ModuleVersions

It hasn't been updated for 7.3 and if you compare what IS listed there, it
doesn't jive with what tarballs can be found at:

hxxp://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.{1,2}

For instance, xf86-video-wsfb... What's up with this guy? It's listed as a
part of 7.2 on the wiki but is no where to be found in
http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.2/src/driver/ . It's not even in
everything/. So either someone forgot to upload it to the driver/ directory
or the wiki is wrong. It is in individual/ but that doesn't do anyone any
good. I'm seeing MANY discrepancies like this and want to fix them. I have
no control over mistakes on the download server but can fix the wiki.

So.. this leads me to ask, where is THE definitive source for determining
what modules are supposed to be included with what release versions? Thus
far, with the switch to modular X, I've been solely relying on proper
tarball documentation and uploading to
hxxp://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/$VERSION/src/ which doesn't appear to
be happening 100% of the time.

On a related note, I'm not sure what's up with xf86-video-i810 in 7.3... If
it was dropped or possibly even merged with xf86-video-intel, then why isn't
it listed in http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.3/src/deprecated/ ?

I haven't enough time to subscribe to the mailing list and keep up on every
aspect of Xorg development in order to know what is going on with every
module in every release. That would be insane IMO.

Excuse me if I'm overlooking the obvious on how to determine module versions
that are supposed to be matched with release versions. Someone previously
told me on this list it wasn't exactly rocket science, but I beg to differ.
The apparent discrepancies on the freedesktop server are frustrating to say
the least. Months ago, I found a driver module listed in another directory
entirely; lib maybe (which I posted about here and the module was eventually
removed).

If checking the release directories is indeed the proper way to go about
getting the correct source for an Xorg build (I don't use git at all), then
we really need some consistency in that regard as far as organization and
documentation on the official release download server. Once that happens,
updating the wiki should be relatively painless and will provide an accurate
list of what is included with each release version.

Jon