Regression Problem in Xorg 7.3

Adam Jackson ajax at nwnk.net
Wed Dec 12 11:45:38 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 11:51 -0500, Anthony L. Awtrey wrote:
> Hello the list,
>
> Short Version:
>
> I've got a weird regression performance problem between Xorg 6.5 and
> Xorg 7.x and I don't know where to report the bug or the details that I
> need to provide to hopefully get a fix. Basically, it looks like that
> some image and pixmap display operations now take 50% to 100% longer in
> Xorg 7.3 when compared to Xorg 6.5. Using Debian Etch and Debian Lenny
> (pre-release) as baselines, I can demonstrate this issue very clearly.
> Details including x11perf and test applications are here:
>
> http://www.awtrey.com/files/xorg-performance/Xorg_Performance.tar.gz

I really don't think you mean 6.5, but regardless.

One first-order thing you could do is compare the performance numbers
for those tests against the Xvfb's from Etch and Lenny.  That would at
least give you a hint whether the overhead is in the DDX or in the core
server.  Likewise, comparing between the i810 and vesa drivers from each
release would hint whether it's a driver problem.

- ajax